The 356 was the first car production car from Porsche after its founding in 1948. Small, light, rear-engined and highly maneuverable, it set the standard by which all other Porsches have been built.
Reutter Karosserie was one of the coachbuilders Porsche contracted to aid in construction of bodies for the 356. Reutter was purchased by Porsche in the early 1960s, in either 1963 or 1964. Other prominent Porsche coachbuilders at the time was Glaser.
Large scale production of the 356 was never Porsche’s intention. Soon, the facilities in Gmünd had become insufficient so the company moved back to Stuttgart Germany. Reutter was given the responsibility of constructing the Porsche 356 coupe bodies while Glaser was responsible for the 356 convertibles. Click here to read more.. »